Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Orthodontic News

In July I finally got braces. What i thought was going to be a pretty simple process has turned into so much more. At the end of my two years of wearing braces i am getting three different surgeries. One, to expand my upper palate. Two, to straighten my upper jaw. And three, to pull my lower jaw forward.

As if this isn't bad enough, i was also told i have a tongue thrust and would have to wear an orthodontic device called a tongue crib. Or worse, tongue spikes. These keep the tongue in the right place when talking, swallowing, or just at rest. Sounds very medievel-torture-device to me...
Luckily, i visited with a speech therapist Thursday morning and found out my tongue problems can be cured with therapy only. No metal cage or spikes in my mouth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for no metal spikes!!!

...but seriously... some people actually have to go through that? ew.

Jen said...

Ok, that's sicko crazy. No metal spikes!