If you live in, or drive through, Austin, be aware that last night the City Council voted to ban texting while driving, effective the first of January. And there's a $500 fine for violators!
§ 12-1-34 Electronic Messaging While Driving.
(A) A driver of a motor vehicle may not use a wireless communication device to view, send, or compose an electronic message while operating a motor vehicle.
(B) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section if a wireless communications device is used:
(1) while the vehicle is stopped;
(2) for making a telephone call;
(3) as a global positioning or navigation system that is affixed to the vehicle;
(3) for obtaining emergency assistance to report a traffic accident, medical emergency, or serious traffic hazard, or to prevent a crime about to be committed;
(4) in the reasonable belief that a person’s life or safety is in immediate danger; or
(5) if the device is permanently installed inside the vehicle.
(C) This section does not apply to an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle using a wireless communication device while acting in an official capacity.